Dr Elizabeth Shea is Clinical Psychologist at the Birmingham Food Refusal Service. Elizabeth kindly agreed to be interviewed for Network Autism when she attended the XI Autism-Europe International Congress hosted by the National Autistic Society in 2016.
In this video Elizabeth discusses some of the common eating issues that autistic people may experience. She explores why autistic people may struggle with eating issues and outlines how professionals can best support them.
Individual interview questions
1. Can you tell us how you first became interested in autism?
2. Can you tell us about your current work?
3. What are the most common eating issues that you see for autistic people?
4. Can you highlight some of the reasons why autistic people may develop eating issues?
5. What are the most effective treatments for eating issues for autistic people?
6. What advice would you have for professionals working with autistic people who maybe struggling with eating issues?